Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Old Manila Carnivals



I found some pictures of the Manila Carnivals from 1908 to 1939. Apparently, they were the talk of the town when they were first brought here by the Americans, who used conceived it as a gesture of good will and a celebration of Philippine-American relations. You will perhaps recall that the Americans bought the Philippines from the Spaniards for a sum of 20 million dollars; naturally, there were many problems encountered along the way. Held over a period of two weeks, it was held in Wallace Field in Luneta, and showcased the agricultural, economic and industrial progress of the country. The highlight was the crowning of the Queen of the Manila Carnival, who were chosen from the ranks of the country's most prominent families. Many of American descent also participated in the contest.

Here is the link. Enjoy!

4 comments:

EegahInc said...

I just wanted to drop a note and let you know how much I've been enjoying your blog. I feel like I'm really getting a taste of your country, which you obviously have an affection for. What brought an end to the carnivals? The war?

Archistrategos said...

Hello Eegahinc!

I am not sure myself why the carnival stopped, although the war seems to be a really strong factor. Sadly, the war also brought an end to many other traditions and festivals in Manila, including the legendary Mass of St. Sylvester and the June processions in honor of St. John the Baptist. Perhaps the biggest loss of all was the destruction of the Jesuit church, San Ignacio, which was lavished with the highest caliber of art from the best artists in the country. At its height, it was said to have rivaled even the churches of Europe, with its intricately carved ceilings and life-like images.

I always enjoy reading your reviews, keep up the good work! And thank you once again for visiting! :)

Alex D.R. Castro said...

Whooo! You found my little cache of Filipina lovelies of yesteryears from Mekeni's Land. The war looming in Europe..the waning interest of Filipinos..and the loss of sponsorships all contributed to the decline of the Carnivals..

Jessica L. Smith said...

OMG!! This is certainly a shocking and a genuine Testimony..I visited a forum here on the internet on the 20TH OF JUNE 2019, And i saw a marvelous testimony of this heard nor learnt anything about magic before.. Not a soul would have been able to influence me about magical spells, not until Dr.Wealthy did it for me and restored my marriage of 8 years back to me and brought my spouse back to me in the same 24 hours just as i read on the internet..i was truly astonished and shocked when my husband knelt down begging for forgiveness and for me to accept him back.. I am really short of expressions, and i don't know how much to convey my appreciation to you Dr.Wealthy you are a God sent to me and my entire family
you also need help just email him on wealthylovespell@gmail.com or call his number +2348105150446